Dotnet Tutorial Home
- Overview of .Net Framework
- .Net Components:
- CLR (Common Language Runtime)
- Steps to Run a program in CLR
- GAC (Global Assembly CACHE)
- Strong Name in .Net Assembly
- ILDASM: Intermediate Language Disassembler in .Net
- Custom Attributes in .Net
- Application Domain in .Net
- Code Access Security in .Net
- Type System in .Net -1
- Type System in .Net -2
- Reflection: Inspection of a Type\'s Metadata
- Introduction to Generics
- Generic Classes and Methods
- Generic Methods in .Net 2.0
- Overview of Inheritance in Generics classes
- Connection pooling in .Net Applications
- Deployment in .Net
- Members (3624)
- Member Articles ( 33 )
- Discussion (457)
- Q & A ( 3 )
- - Ask Question
- - Questions
- - Unanswered Questions
- Source Code (0)
- Articles (72)
- Blogs (47)
- Jobs (0)
- Components (2)
- Books (70)
- Websites (43)
- News (192)
Common Language Runtime consists of various components that provide the run-time environment and run-time services for your applications. The following are the features of CLR:-
- Load IL code of the application into the runtime
- Compile the IL Code into the Native Code.
- Execute the Code
- Enforce Security
- Type Safety
- Memory Management
- Thread Support
- CAS (Code Access Security)
- Provide exception manager, common debugger, interoperability.
- Garbage Collection
- Cross language Integration, especially cross Lang. inheritance.
Components of CLR
The following are the components of CLR :-
- Class Loader: This loads classes into the runtime.
- MSIL to native code compiler: This converts MSIL code into native code.
- Code manager: This manager the code during execution i.e provides code check, the resources it needs during execution.
- Garbage Collector: provide automatic memory management and avoid memory leaks.
- Security Engine: This enforces security restrictions and CAS.
- Type Checker: This enforces strict type checking.
- Thread Support: This provides multithreading support to applications.
- Exception Manager : This provides a mechanism to handle the run-time exceptions.
- Debug Engine : Allow you to debug different type of applications.
- COM marshaler : This allows .net application to exchange data with COM applications.
- BASE Class library : This provides the types the applications needed at runtime.